Daily disposable lenses have the wonderful advantage of having a fresh clean new pair every day. No need to clean. Good optics. Healthy. Since these are thrown out every day, there is no need to buy solutions. Many parents like these for their children. Other applications include:
- Sports: both children and adults, who want to wear these only while they play sports, or when they scuba dive.
- Occasional use: People who want to wear lenses occasionally, for a few times a week, or only for special occasions, such as going out, or going to a wedding, for example.
These lenses are now available for people who are
- Multifocal – clear vision both distance (driving) and near (computer, reading). Most people begin to notice difficulties witching between distance and near at about 40. These lenses address that.
- Astigmatism for those people who have the need to see clearer because of the unique shape of their eye.
More traditional soft lenses are
- 2 Week lenses,
- 1 month lenses, and
- quarterly (3 month lenses).
These have been available for a long time. Although Daily Disposables serve the benefits of clear healthy vision without having to clean the lenses, 2 week, 1 month and 3 lenses have the benefit of reduced cost, but they must be cleaned and removed. Lenses that are used longer have more build-up on the lenses, and therefore it can become more difficult to see clearly. As there is more buildup from your tears, mucin, and protein, the less air (oxygen) gets though and therefor more prone to eye health problems. These lenses are still approved by the FDA, but have more complications. Also, as someone works on computer or reads for longer amounts of time, these lenses tend to dry out and cause the eyes to feel dry.
The benefit of 2 week lenses is that they have a limited lifespan but for some people this and 1 month lenses