Disease Diagnosis & Treatment of Eye Disease
- We treat many patients for eye diseases such as glaucoma, cataracts, conjunctivitis, dry eye, etc.
- We identify and treat the eye consequences of systemic (body) diseases, such as High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Thyroid disease, Lyme disease, etc. Each can have profound effects on the eye as well as the entire body. At times, body diseases are first detected during an eye examination.
- High Blood Pressure and Diabetes can cause changes in the retina (the back of the eye
- Diabetes can also cause cataracts and glaucoma
- Thyroid disease can make your eyes feel dry.
- We have invested in the needed instrumentation to arrive at conclusive diagnoses.
Emergency Eye Care
Some eye problems occur suddenly and require immediate attention. Examples include:
- a piece of metal or a twig( foreign body) in the eye that must be removed
- a suddenly red eye can be due to either an eye allergy, infection, or an inflammation
- a pink eye or red eye (conjunctivitis) that requires medication
- a scratch to the front part of the eye (corneal abrasion)
- sudden flashes or floaters (may be a sign of a retinal detachment)
- sudden pain and sensitivity to light (uveitis, iritis, corneal abrasion)
Our eye doctor in Old Bridge, NJ manage the vast majority of eye health issues within our own office, such as patients with Glaucoma and Cataracts. We treat patients with both topical (on the eye) and/or oral medication.
Some of the surgical procedures that we do within the office include:
- removing foreign objects that have recently entered the eye.
- removing longer standing objects such as rust or metal from the eye.
- inserting punctual plugs for patients with dry eye
- removing lid lesions and skin tags
At times we consult with the excellent optometrists and ophthalmologists at Omni Eye Service, to bring the best to our patients. We work closely with the ophthalmology sub-specialists who provide cataract, glaucoma, retina, oculoplastic, and pediatric surgery and evaluations. We co-manage patients who need cataract surgery and see them for all preoperative and postoperative care. The mutual respect between optometry and ophthalmology at the Omni Eye Service referral center enables us to provide the best care to our patients.